Saturday, June 17, 2017

The 5 Second Rule


Despite what you may think, the 5 Second Rule is not about eating food off the floor. It's a book that I've read recently by Mel Robbins. I discovered Mel when she was on the School of Greatness podcast with Lewis Howes. Her story was so relatable and I loved how straightforward she is. She describes a time in her life where she did not want to get out of bed every single day. Her tomorrow's  were always going to be better, but they never were. She decided to do something about it. She saw a commercial of a rocket launching and the countdown to launch : 5,4,3,2,1. She promised herself that the next day she would launch herself out of bed when the alarm went off, after counting down 5,4,3,2,1. Her trick worked! It didn't just help her get herself out of bed in the morning, it helped her overcome her daily anxiety and fear, one countdown at a time. The 5 Second Rule has helped me overcome some of my fears and propelled me to act when I normally would overthink or talk myself out of it. Mel has a TED talk that briefly talks about the 5 Second Rule entitled How To Stop Screwing Yourself Over. Mel discusses ideas in the Ted talk such as parenting yourself, doing things because you should, not necessarily because you feel like it. It's such an interesting topic, I will never feel like changing, and motivation does not magically appear. The confidence and the power comes in doing, not before. The link to the 5 Second Rule is below. I hope you will find the book as beneficial as I have.

How To Stop Screwing Yourself Over 






No comments: